The state of Illinois is taking a team approach to demonstrating the importance of nutrient stewardship. A partnership between Illinois Farm Bureau, Illinois county Farm Bureaus, GROWMARK, and FS companies will demonstrate 4R nutrient stewardship practices during local 4R4U field demonstrations across the state.
4R4U is a pilot program with hopes for a multi-year partnership to bring added use, awareness, and knowledge on nutrient stewardship via the 4R approach. The 4R approach involves using the right source of nutrient, at the right time, at the right rate, and in the right place.
“As a farmer, I am committed to managing nutrients sustainably,” said Illinois Farm Bureau President Richard Guebert Jr. “This partnership will utilize many assets and produce locally driven information. Farmers and the agriculture community continue to work diligently to maximize input utilization and focus on the nutrient loss reduction strategy (NLRS).”
Local plot tests will compare common practices to advanced practices on nutrient stewardship. Some of the types of tests include N-rate trials, use of multiple nitrogen applications, stabilizer utilizations, no-till planting, cover crops, and soil samples.
Illinois Farm Bureau and GROWMARK are providing funds for the project, while FS companies and county Farm Bureaus work together to carry out the 4R field demonstration strategy at a local level.
This winter, each partnership will put a strategy in place with field demonstration days in the spring and summer of 2017:
- Gold Star FS, Inc. and Mercer County Farm Bureau
- M&M Service Company and Macoupin County Farm Bureau
- Prairieland FS, Inc., Scott County Farm Bureau, and Pike County Farm Bureau
- Heritage FS, Inc., Kankakee County Farm Bureau, and Ford-Iroquois Farm Bureau
- Evergreen FS, Inc. and Macon County Farm Bureau
- Stephenson Service Company and Stephenson County Farm Bureau
- Southern FS, Inc. and Jackson County Farm Bureau
- Gateway FS, Inc. and Randolph County Farm Bureau
- Christian County Farmers Supply Co. and Christian County Farm Bureau
- South Central FS, Inc., Moultrie County Farm Bureau, and Bond County Farm Bureau
- Piatt County Service Company and Piatt County Farm Bureau