American Agri-Women has announced the winners of their Gen Z Speaks Ag contest. Young advocates showcased their creativity and passion for agriculture in AAW’s “Gen Z Speaks Ag” contest sponsored by Crop Science, a division of Bayer. This program allows those between the ages of 11 to 23 to have their voices heard in categories consisting of photography, videography, and special event. Opportunities such as these have been a great way to get the next generation involved and helping change some of the negative trends in agriculture.
AAW’s AgDay365 celebrates the fact that everyone is part of agriculture, every day, and the “AgDay365: Ag Day is Every Day Campaign” topic was Love Food, Don’t Waste It. The submissions had to depict agriculture in an authentic and positive light incorporating the campaign theme.
You can view the finalists and vote for the People’s Choice Award in the photo and video categories on AAW’s Facebook page.
Photography award recipients are:
- 1st Place — Kayla Beechinor, Sunflowers Before Sunset, Walla Walla, Washington.
- 2nd & 3rd Place — Brooke Roberts, Milton, Wisconsin.
- People’s Choice — Molly Stamm, Champaign, Illinois.
Video award recipients are:
- 1st Place — Madison Wilson, Urbana, Illinois.
- 2nd Place — Ashley Garlick, Swanton, Ohio
- 3rd Place and People’s Choice — Maleigha Huston, Good Hope, Illinois.
Special event award recipients:
- 1st Place — Cumberland, Barron, and Prairie Farm Agriculture Students, Wisconsin – Agriculture students joined together to share the story of agriculture with approximately 175 4th and 6th graders at the 2019 Food for America Program.
- 2nd Place — McKinley Vikings 4-H Club, Cumberland, Wisconsin – Held their 5th annual corn feed that featured a full meal with corn grown by one of the 4-H families. Included was a petting zoo, ag exhibits, 4-H projects, games, and a car, truck, and old tractor show.
- 3rd Place — Women in Agriculture at Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana. – Held community survey on the public’s knowledge about ag commodities