For rural folks, we are drawn to the wide open spaces that the country offers. However, if you are a dog owner, you know what wide open spaces really translates into tracking down your dog after they take off after a rabbit. For those times when you want to keep your country dog in sight, having some type of fencing system would come in handy. We are going to break down the best electric dog fences to have out in the country.
Unlike city dog owners, country dogs typically have more open spaces to run, dig, and hide. Sometimes as homeowners, we are protecting them for their own safety by either fencing them in, or fencing out unwanted visitors. When selecting a dog fence there are many different types to consider.
This list will include our favorite electric and wireless fences. Although a true wooden fence or a woven wire one are great options, often in the country that can get costly with large areas to fence in and uneven terrain. Thankfully, with technology we can easily protect man’s best friend while also protecting our wallet.
Here are our 7 picks for the best electric dog fences:
PetSafe Stay & Play Above Ground Electric Fence
If you have a dog who is determined to chase the squirrel running into your neighbor’s yard, the PetSafe Stay & Play Wireless Fence for Stubborn Dogs gives your determined pup freedom while keeping him safe and secure inside his yard. There is no need to bury any wires or build a traditional fence, with the turn of a dial the Stay & Play Wireless Fence lets you create a circular boundary up to 3/4-acre. With this Wireless fence, you decide how far to extend the boundary to keep your pet secure in their designated space.
- The adjustable circular range allows up to 3/4-acre of coverage (5-105 feet in all directions) from the placement of the portable indoor transmitter.
- Allows your pet to return home without being corrected if your pet passes the boundary
- System comes with 1 waterproof, rechargeable receiver collar that comfortably fits dogs 5 pounds and up and adjusts to fit neck sizes 6-28 inches.
- Take this portable fence with you when you and your dog go camping or traveling to livestock shows.
- With the purchase of additional collars, this wireless fence allows you to safely contain an unlimited number of pets with one fence system
WIEZ GPS Wireless Dog Fence
The intelligent wireless fence system is a new type product in the market, with a simple operation. It’s capable of the reliably protecting your pet and excellent contain your pet within the set boundary. If the dog exceed the set activity range, beep or vibration or shock dog training function will automatically start to warn the dog back to the safe area.
- The WIEZ GPS wireless fencing system use a GPS location technique versus a radio-frequency technique
- This GPS wireless dog fence can cover areas up to 3281 feet radius and up to a max of 776 acres allowing you to use it outdoors. Its control distance is adjustable between 98-3281ft.
- The vibration intensity and electric shock can be adjusted in three levels.
- This product does not need the transmitter (it only needs the collar receiver to work), which is very convenient to carry. You can take your dog with you when you go out. It can be used in most open outdoor environments.
PetSafe Wireless Fence Pet Containment System
The PetSafe Wireless Containment System allows you to create a secure 1/2-acre circular boundary around your yard without the hassle of burying wire or installing a physical fence. To set up, simply place the Wireless Containment System transmitter in a weatherproof location, plug into an outlet and adjust the dial to cover the perfect size area for your dog.
- The adjustable circular range can cover up to 1/2 acres from the placement of the portable indoor transmitter.
- The collar battery lasts up to 2 months before the low battery indicator alerts you to replace the battery.
- Teach your pets to stay in the secure play area with a sound-only training mode plus 5 levels of static on his receiver collar
PetSafe Stubborn Dog In-Ground Pet Fence
Keep your determined dog safe and secure during outdoor play without worry. The PetSafe Stubborn Dog In-Ground Fence is a do-it-yourself weekend project for most yard shapes and sizes. In this kit, you will receive 500 feet of wire to create up to a 1/3-acre area to keep your dog safe and secure. With the purchase of additional wire, you can contain up to a 25-acre yard.
- 4 levels of adjustable static correction and a tone plus vibration mode help keep the most persistent dogs safe and secure inside their designated play area
- Vibration mode on the receiver collar makes this durable in-ground fence a great option for pets who have trouble hearing
- Do-it-yourself weekend project lets you create an in-ground fence designed to fit your yard
- An automatic safety shut-off feature of the Stubborn Dog In-Ground Fence will keep your pet from receiving extended static correction if they remain in the correction zone for 30 seconds
- The included lightweight, waterproof collar fits pets weighing 8 lb or more with neck sizes between 6-28 in
Aweec Wireless Fence System for 2 Dogs
Aweec Wireless Dog Fence System is the 2021 newest version which combines two functions: Wireless Dog Fence and Remote Training Collar into one. This can help train your pet and shape good habits safely. This collar has adopted the newest upgraded technology and provides a more stable and accurate signal transmission.
- Aweec Wireless Dog Training Collar is adjustable. Its size ranges from 8 to 28 inches, which makes it suitable for all size of dogs (10 to 110 pounds).
- Signal range is up to 990ft in radius.
- When your dog is out of range, the receiver collar will make a warning tone, and then a 3.7V low voltage mild electrostatic shock will remind your dog to go back.
- Under training collar mode, it can control 3 dogs at the same time.
Pet Control HQ Wireless Pet Containment System
Pet parents with large yards and complicated spaces say this combination of a wireless pet training system and custom above or below ground wired design gives them peace of mind that their best friend has up to 10 acres of safe roaming.
- Enjoy the benefits of an easy-to-layout dog wireless fence system, plus 492 feet of 20 AWG inground, above ground or underground electric dog fence wire.
- The electric shock collar with levels 1-10 get attention and stops stubborn, and nuisance behavior fast
- This 12-hour Electronic Ecollar features an 8-second safety shut down switch that stops the shock.
- Plus the strap is adjustable to fits dog neck sizes ranging between 8 – 27 inches.
COVONO Electric Dog Fence
The COVONO KD660B-1 In-Ground Dog Containment System is a simple, accurate and secure system that comes with 650 ft wire, 1 transmitter and receiver, designed for dog owners to keep the dog secure in an adjustable up to 3/4-acre play area.
- The receiver is adjustable, waterproof and rechargeable, suitable for all kinds of dogs that weigh 10lbs-120lbs.
- The fence system allows you to control the width of the boundary by adjusting the signal strength. The ‘Speed Detection’ function means that the faster your dog runs to the boundary, the stronger the shock intensity will be.
- With the purchase of additional compatible COVONO receivers, you can contain as many pets as you need at the same time
Selecting the best dog fence
Before selecting the right fence for you, it is important to know your needs and requirements of your dog. There are multiple fences on the market right now. Before you shell out the money for a new fence, make sure it works for you and your yard.
Size of your yard
Knowing the size of your yard/ size of your ideal fence is the first step in selecting your fence. If you plan on putting in an underground wire fence across an acre, it will take a lot of time and manual work. After picking the right coverage of yard, that will help you select the type of fence you need.
Most wireless fences have some type of transmitter that provides a 360-degree protection barrier for your yard. The benefit of the wireless fence is the easy-to-install process. After setting up the transmitter and programming the collar to your desired boundaries, the system is ready. With this easy process, you can spend extra time training your dog. However, the down side is a predetermined boundary that will not adjust to a customized yard size.
Underground fences use a buried wire to provide your dog protection. The great thing about using a wired-fence is that you can customize it to your needs and your yard. If you have an odd-shaped property line, the underground fence could be your best option. However, it can be a labor-intensive task.
Although there are a lot of options on the market, the right one can definitely make your life easier. As a dog owner in the country, it is helpful to have some type of containment system in place so you don’t have to walk through the woods looking for our furry friends. An electric dog fence can make your life easier and allow you to enjoy the outdoors with your dog.
We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.