The beloved farm shop — where tools can be found in the wrong bucket and jokes can be heard year round. For some farmers and ranchers, the shop includes the “conference room,” the office, and the lunch table all in the same corner. Tractor parts, candy wrappers, and duct tape can be found everywhere. However, not every shop is made equal. Many farmers and ranchers may do more shop work outside if they don’t have the room inside. Other farmers might have heated floors and can continue to work year round. No matter what, the average farmer will spend just as much time in the shop than on a tractor.
There is still a lot that happens at the shop while we are there — but also while we are gone, especially during peak seasons, like planting and harvest. There is also a lot that we put to use in a farm shop, and here is a look at some of the unique products that make our shop life easier, even during the moments when no one is around. We included items that helped our organization and safety in the shop, but also increased the efficiency in the shop as well.
As a farmer’s daughter and farmer’s wife, I have seen multiple shop setups. However, as time has progressed, so has the technology and safety of the building that holds so many valuable items — and memories. When compiling this list, I reached out to the farmers in my life along with personal experience of being in the shop. I asked what they love — but also hate — about their own shop.
Check out these few products that help make our shop life easier:
ANNKE 5MP Lite 8CH Security Surveillance Camera System
- Remote Access with Free ANNKE Software
- Advanced H.265+ Video Coding
- 1080p Full HD Images & 100 ft Night Vision
- Smart Motion Detection Alerts
- Outdoor IP66 Waterproof for All Scenarios
- 24/7 Record Even Without Internet
Even when you can’t be there to protect the shop and its valuables, this camera will catch what is going on. Enjoy 1080P crystal clear image day or night with the camera’s automatic IR-cut filter; night vision covers up to 100ft. With IP66 weatherproof housing, cameras can be used indoors and outdoors.Stay confident that you won’t be bothered by false alerts, as you can mark out the motion detection zones. And instant email alerts with snapshots and APP alarm pushes allow you to take precautions in time.
Vacplus Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner Tablets
- When the blue toilet bowl tablet dissolves completely, the blue will fade, a new toilet tank cleaner should be put into the tank.
- This product cannot completely replace the toilet brush. It is mainly to help maintain a clean toilet tank and reduce the dirt accumulation on the tank. Please clean the toilet tank with a toilet brush before the first-time use, so as to make a better use of this product.
- Effectively help you clean the tank, water pipe and other parts of the toilet.
This may seem odd, but you know you need it. Unless you have a hired cleaning service, I know that during the planting and harvesting months, your toilet bowl is the last thing you are thinking about. Drop one of these cleaning tablets in and worry no more.
Milwaukee Cordless Grease Gun
- On-board LED light
- a lock-on/lock-off trigger
- plunger rod with markings to gauge how much grease is left in the barrel.
- 48” flexible hose
- Powered by an M18 REDLITHIUM Battery pack
A shop must have! Makes greasing and everyday maintenance a breeze. The M18 Cordless 2-Speed Grease Gun delivers maximum pressure and unmatched versatility, offering an industry leading 10,000 PSI max operating pressure and a patent pending pre-set grease counter that allows service and maintenance professionals to dispense precise amounts of grease. The tool’s 2-speed design offers users the ability to select between max pressure and max flow rate.
Mule Head Brand Big Mule Wipes
- 72 WIPES: Cleans: Parts, Tools, Grease, Grime, Spots, Paint, Adhesives, Equipment, and so much more!
- Made in the USA
- No nonylphenols , No phosphates, No bad solvents, Biodegradable, Smells Great
Farmers and ranchers understand the importance of a good shop towel. These towels come in handy in almost every greasy situation and can really make a difference in the upkeep of equipment, hands, clothing, and so much more! These are a necessity in your shop.
Milwaukee 2951-20 M12 Lithium-Ion Cordless Jobsite Radio/Bluetooth Speaker
- This speaker is 5.01 pounds and 5.71 x 5.95 x 12.32 inches
- Battery Powered
- AM/FM radio mode
This jobsite speaker is great for the farmer or rancher who likes to work with music in the background. This is a great option to have in the shop since it does well within a concrete or steel shop. With an easy to grab handle, this Bluetooth speaker makes it the perfect one for any operation.
BLADE SWEEP – Push Broom Outdoor
- Heavy-duty push broom for industrial use, such as on construction job sites
- Utility broom design with reversible head, stainless steel scraper blade and fiberglass handle make cleaning a breeze!
- Reversible 18-inch broom head with stainless steel scraper blade
This wide shop broom is built with resistant stiff long bristles which enables a strong mechanical lift and push forward for any type of rough work or surface. This broom for rough surfaces is ergonomically designed to facilitate edging, sweeping away sticky debris, and other complicated cleanups.
Signstek Keypad Entry Lever Door Lock
- Input a programming code and you can Add/Delete user’s code individually, mute on or mute off, set one-time user code for visitors or hourly employee, set temporarily disable user code and set the automatic locking time
- Auto-locking function enhances security and convenience. Keypad deadbolt with Auto latch bolt locking detection prevents any incomplete door locking.
- Low battery indicator
To wrap up the safety and convenience — this door lock is the perfect combination of both. Need to lock up the shop, but the hired hand is still out in the field? This is a great option for him to be able to get in and out of the shop without the worries of extra keys lying around or leaving the shop doors unguarded. This particular lock is great for multiple users so not everyone has the same code if one needs to be changed due to hiring or firing.
What would make life around a farm shop easier?
Although having an automatic floor cleaner or a robot to put up all the tools correctly would be wonderful, there are still realistic products to make shop life easier. Farmers want products that help with efficiency while also keeping safety in mind. Even though they spend a lot of time in the shop, they can’t be there to guard it 24/7 — even if the shop is close to the farmhouse. So a lot of the products we’ve included focus on safety, efficiency, and bringing overall enjoyment to shop life.
What is proven to bring happiness in my own shop?
Many farmers and ranchers have certain things they love and can’t live without that can be found in the shop. Maybe it is their favorite cordless grease gun or a Bluetooth speaker to liven up shop life. These items are a tested favorite for producers.
How will these products stand the test of time and hardships of being in a shop vs. being in a house?
We all know that the conditions in the shop are harsher than your typical house. The products have shown durability to withstand the harsh conditions that can be found in the shop — inside or outside. Such as prone to dropping, dirty conditions, being left outside, and much more.
We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from some purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.