Horse blankets are needed to keep your animals comfortable in a variety of weather conditions, especially if they prefer the pasture over the barn. We understand that there’s never going to be a perfect blanket for every condition — when meteorologists start talking about the polar vortex, you’ll need something particularly heavy; but summer showers often need just a sheet. However, we like to get a lot of utility out of blankets, and turnout blankets fit that bill. Having gone through several different styles and brands over the years, we wanted to highlight our four favorites, the ones that will get you horses through a lot of instances and keep them in good spirits.
Of course, you have to take care to buy the correct size. This video is a good one for helping you figure out where to measure to get your blanket sizing correct:
Here are some of the best horse blankets (turnout blankets) that we’ve used on our farms (as well as the opportunity to buy them, if you so choose):
$149.99 — WeatherBeeta ComFiTec Plus Dynamic Standard Neck
This is our favorite, hands down. Our horses spend a lot of time outdoors, and few blankets seem to last more than a season. Our WeatherBeeta ComFiTec has now made it four seasons (beyond the generous three-year manufacturer’s warranty), and it’s still showing now signs of tearing. It’s a solid investment, and it’s made our aging horse, who tends to drop weight in the cooler temps, very very happy.
- 1200D triple weave nylon outer shell that’s both waterproof and breathable.
- Memory foam Wither Relief Pad to aid in lifting the blanket off the horse’s wither.
- Dual, Ezi-Clip front closures for adjustability and ease of use.
- Large, traditional shoulder gusset for natural movement.
- Elasticized, adjustable and removable web leg straps for a secure and comfortable fit.
- Reflective strips on chest and tail flap for added visibility.
- Twin, low cross surcingles.
- 220 grams polyfill for warmth.
$89.99 — Tough-1 1200D Waterproof Poly Turnout Blanket
This is probably the best turnout blanket that you’ll find at this price point, so if you’re a value shopper, this is a great value! It includes an Adjustable Snuggit neck so you can customize the fit of this blanket to your horse.
Made of 1200 denier ripstop poly outer shell with waterproof 210 lining
- 300 grams of poly fill
- Fleece wither protection
- Crossed surcingles with elastic ends
- Adjustable leg straps with elastic ends
- Double buckle front
- Shoulder gussets allow freedom of movement
$179.95 — Amigo Bravo 12 Wug Medium 250g Turnout Blanket
You’re definitely in high-end territory now. The Amigo has a strong waterproof and breathable 1200D polyester outer, and a shine-enhancing polyester lining with fibrefill. The Wug high cut neck design gives a snug fit and eliminates wither pressures. Front leg arches, and cross surcingles are the standard features.
- Waterproof and breathable.
- Comes with v-front closure.
- Made from high-quality fabric
$122 — Bonum 1200D Ripstop 220g Turnout Blanket
This is one of the more recent blankets we tried out for a winter, and we were very pleased with how well it held up and how happy our horse was. If you have had past success with the TuffRider brand, Bonum is the most affordable option in the TuffRider collection.
- Clozease closures; easy on, easy off
- 210D Oxford lining
- Memory foam wither relief
- Stretchet panel
- Reflective Trim
- Low cross surcingles
- Tail flap
- Adjustable, removable leg straps
We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.