Your horse being dry is key to him or her being warm and comfortable. While turnout blankets are common, oftentimes in some of the warmer parts of the year, a horse sheet will be more appropriate. Sheets can also be used to keep flies off your animals (which is why slight variations of these garments are also known as fly sheets). For fairer-colored horses, sheets can also be important to avoiding sunburns, while on darker hair, they can be important to keeping the coat from bleaching out.
Because horse sheets are so important to have on hand, we tapped into our experience and talked to fellow horse owners to determine which are some of the best horse sheets to get. Weatherproofing and breathability are key! These are our five favorites:
$59.99 — Saxon 1200D Turnout Sheet
Waterproof and breathable, this turnout sheet is designed to allow moisture vapor to wick away from the horse and prevent sweating while retaining body heat and repelling outside coldness. The 1200 Denier ripstop polyester outer shell provides heavy material strength to withstand minor bites, rubs, or pulls. It’s Teflon-coated with taped seams and seamless spine to repel water and keep your horse dry. The 210 Denier Oxford lining prevents rubbing and helps to keep the coat shiny while preventing hair, shavings, and straw from sticking to the inside of the blanket.
- Waterproof and breathable
- Recommended for daily or continuous turnout for horses with access to run in shelter
- 1200 Denier ripstop polyester outer shell
- Double-sewn heavy nylon binding to secure material and provide additional durability
- Fleece wither helps provide protection from rubbing
- Open front double buckle closure straps featuring rust-resistant stainless steel hardware
- Low cross adjustable surcingles with T-Lock fasteners ensure proper fit and easy on/off
- Adjustable web leg straps prevent stretching and help to prevent shifting from side to side
- Double-stitched tail cover ensures tail flap stays securely in place
- Name tag Included on the inside front left
$139.95 — WeatherBeeta ComFiTec Plus BC Lite Turnout Sheet
Comfortable and durable, the ComFiTec Plus horse sheet is constructed of a 1200D zigzag triple weave Repel Shell fabric, which allows water droplets to bead and run off the blanket, preventing saturation while working perfectly with the waterproof and breathable coating. A memory foam wither relief pad contours to the horse’s shape and lifts the blanket off the withers to reduce rubbing and provide added comfort. Traditional shoulder gussets aid in the horse’s natural movement.
- 1200 Denier Triple Weave Outer Shell with Repel Shell Coating
- Ezi-Clip front closure
- Taped seams
- Reflective strips on front and tail flap
- Twin low adjustable cross surcingles
- Large tail flap
- Elasticized, adjustable, and removable leg straps
$109.85 — Kensington AllAround 1200D Rain Sheet
This rain sheet is offered in the Surefit design, which fits a wider range of horses from narrow and lanky to broad and stocky. The durable 1200 Denier ripstop outer shell is 100% waterproof and breathable with Teflon coatings, and is extremely durable and tear-resistant, allowing it to maintain a high breathability. It also aids in preventing condensation from body moisture, ensuring your horse stays dry and comfortable. This sheet stays secure with criss-cross belly straps that are removable from both sides, removable rear leg straps, and an adjustable front with snaps for easy on and off.
- Waterproof and breathable
- 70 Denier nylon lining
- Rolled nylon at withers for padding
- Twin front buckle closure
- Fully detachable belly straps
- Removable tail flap
$154.95 — Amigo Bravo 12 Wug Lite 0g Turnout Sheet
The original high cut neck design, now in the Amigo range of horsewear as Amigo Bravo 12 Wug Lite Sheet. Strong waterproof and breathable 1200D polyester outer, shine enhancing polyester lining with fibrefill. The Wug high cut neck design gives a snug fit and eliminates wither pressures. Front leg arches, and cross surcingles as standard.
- Breathable and waterproof
- Includes cross surcingles
- Comes with v-front closure
$94.95 — Tough-1 Super Tough 1680D Sheet Snuggit Neck
This Tough-1 sheet features the popular Snuggit neck adjustment for a more custom fit, the strap allows a small gusset to be opened and closed to adjust the fit of the blanket to your horse’s neck and shoulder, while the double buckle front with snap closures allows more freedom of movement.
- Waterproof, ripstop outer shell
- Breathable 210D lining
- Fleece wither protection
- Triple gusset
- Three D-Rings to connect hoods and neck covers
- Double buckle front with snap closure
- Crossed surcingle belly straps
- Removable, adjustable leg straps
- Tail flap
- Taped seams
We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.