Spring — the birds are chirping, the flowers are blooming, and the flies … Yes, springtime also means that those pesky flies are back in action. For the typical home homeowner, flies are a nuisance, but can be fixed with a fly swatter and reminding the kiddos to shut the door when they go outside. However, for livestock owners it is more than just annoyance, flies can also be detrimental to their livestock. What you need are proven tactics, and it’s important to find the best fly prevention products out there.
Cattle producers, especially, know that flies are nothing to be messed with. According to University of Nebraska-Lincoln, “Economic losses associated with horn flies are estimated at more than $1 billion dollars annually in the United States.” Without any type of intervention, livestock producers risk the herd’s overall well-being, which in return risks their bottom line.
However, there are options to keep the flies at bay.
From horn flies to stable flies, producers have long been trying to protect their livestock from the flies. Although it is impossible to completely eliminate the fly problem, producers can lessen the impact with the fly prevention products below.
1. Champion JustiFLY Feedthrough
Champion JustiFLY Feedthrough is an economically priced insect growth regulator (IGR) larvicide that breaks the life cycle of all four fly species that affect cattle. The larvicide in the fly control for cattle is ingested by the cattle as they feed on the treated mineral throughout fly season. The fly pest control passes through the animal and starts to work on flies in the cattle manure.
- Broad Spectrum — Controls ALL FOUR species of flies that affect cattle: stable fly, horn fly, face fly, house fly
- Tested — EPA approved for pasture cattle, feed yard cattle and dairy cattle
- Confidence — Fly pest control approved for use in lactating dairy cattle. No withdrawal period. No milk disposal issues.
- Safety Margin — No known fly resistance
Promising review: “We’ve been using this product for about a year now and I can honestly say it works better than any fly product we’ve tried. In the worst part of fly season last summer, our cows had hardly any flies on them. We are in Texas so we are already using it again this spring. And all we do is add it to mineral we are putting out anyway.
2. SimpliFly Feed-Thru Fly Control
You can get a jump start on fly control by starting your horse on Farnam 100515881 SimpliFly Feed-Thru Fly Control with LarvaStop early in the spring and continue throughout the summer until cold weather restricts fly activity. Break the fly life cycle by preventing the development into mature adults with feed through fly control for horses. Simply add this feed fly control for horses to your animals’ feed to prevent flies in manure.
- Feed through fly control for horses prevents development of house and stable flies in manure when horses are continually treated
- Highly palatable; just add feed fly control for horses to feed
- Contains no organophosphates
- Equine feed-thru fly control granted reduced risk pesticide status by the EPA
- Contains Diflubenzuron
Promising review: “This will be my second season using this for my 2 horses. I find if you use this early along with the fly bag catchers it helps a lot with the flies around the barn and pasture. Of course nothing rids of them completely but this product does help eliminate the amount of flies.”
3. Wind and Rain Fly Control Cattle Mineral Feed
The Purina 3005029-106 Wind and Rain Fly Control Cattle Mineral Feed features Altosid (Insect Growth Regulator), which prevents the breeding of horn flies in the manure of treated cattle. The cattle mineral feed’s large particle size and special formulation keeps the mineral from absorbing water and blowing out of the feeder.
- Fly control with Altosid (IGR) prevents breeding of horn flies in manure of treated cattle
- Minerals contain proper balance and ratios of all 14 essential cattle minerals
- Increased particle size and weather-resistant formula support reduced water absorption and less mineral blowing out of the feeder
- Exclusive Storm Formulation eliminates water retention and clumping or bricking so cattle will continue to consume mineral even after its been wet
- Though mineral feed resists moisture, it does not prevent digestion
Promising review: “Start using this before the horn flies start emerging in spring. Place near water and the cows will utilize it. Keeps the horn fly maggots from emerging as adults. I don’t use a salt block with this to make sure they consume some.”
4. Big Bag Disposable Fly Trap
Rescue BFTD-DB12-FR Big Bag Disposable Fly Trap has twice the capacity of our Disposable Fly Trap, catching flies in bulk in areas with large fly populations, such as barns, stables, and animal pens. The fly trap bag allows flies in, but doesn’t let them out to clear up pests.
- Flies find the fly trap bag fast
- Disposable fly trap lets flies in, but not out
- For areas with large fly populations
- Catches up to 40,000 flies
- Made in USA
Promising review: “Bought this as a last ditch attempt after fly tapes and other refillable traps — I have this hanging by the pig house and within 3 day there was a significant reduction in flies — piggies are much happier and so am I!”
5. Permethrin 10 Livestock and Premise Spray
This Gordon’s 9291082 Permethrin 10 Livestock and Premise Spray is a concentrated permethrin insecticide formulation kills insects quickly. Use this permethrin insect repellent outdoors or in non-food areas of dairies, barns, swine houses, and kennels.
- Kills flies, mosquitoes, deer ticks, and lice
Promising review: “Gordon’s Permethrin 10 is good for spraying my cows and the barn area for flies. I spray it directly on the cows in a one ounce of Permethrin 10 to one gallon of water. I use the same mixture to spray on ant beds too. The price at TSC is the best price I’ve found.”
6. Captivator Fly Trap
The Starbar 100520214 Captivator Fly Trap is heavy-duty, reusable 2-quart plastic jug trap that is durable and easy to use. The jug trap offers fly control for the medium level around barns. The fly trap comes with 30 gm. Water soluble attractant pouch for effective fly control.
- Fly trap comes with 30 gm. water soluble attractant pouch for effective fly control
- Jug trap offers fly control for the medium level around barns
- 2-quart reusable plastic jug
- Controls flies and house flies
Promising review: “Bought two to hang in the barn (out of any animals’ reach) & it’s been in there for about a week & already getting flies! We have pigs, & chickens, & will soon be adding more animals so flies were bad & these are already helping to keep the fly population down! It’s also nice that you can reuse the actual trap & just refill with water & fresh bait!”
Whether you decide on a spray, a trap, or feed, know that although it will not eradicate the problem, it will help alleviate the issue and any future economic problems that flies can cause.
We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from some purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.