In preparation for National Ag Day 2021 on March 23, the Agriculture Council of America is hosting its annual essay contest. The theme for this year is Food Brings Everyone to the Table. During the National Ag Day essay contest, students get to celebrate agriculture and help consumers better understand how farmers and the companies serving them produce abundant, healthy, nutritious, and safe food that nourishes our families and consumers around the world.
This essay contest is divided into two categories of competition: written essay and video essay. Both are national competitions, and both winners will receive $1,000. The contest is open to students currently enrolled in grades 9 through 12. Contestants must be a U.S. citizen and attending school in the U.S. Contestants must meet all requirements to compete. The deadline for submitting entries in the essay contest is January 31, 2021. The complete list of rules and regulations for this contest may be found online on their website.
All entrants are encouraged to support their position on agriculture with facts — don’t just tell a story. As they prepare their entry, students should consider the following:
- Research the food value chain
- Consider the role of technology in agriculture
- Global population is projected to reach 9 billion people by 2021
- Increasing global consumer interest in how food is produced and processed
- Popularity and growth of high protein diets featuring plant-based protein
- Health and fitness driving consumer food buying habits
- There’s a shortfall of students entering agriculture, versus the number of job openings. In fact, the U.S. Department of Agriculture estimates that more than 20,000 agriculture jobs are left unfilled annually.
- U.S. farmers are among the most productive in the world. They proudly raise crops and livestock because they want to help feed hungry people.
National Ag Day is organized by the Agriculture Council of America. ACA is a nonprofit organization composed of leaders in the agricultural, food and fiber community, dedicating its efforts to increasing the public’s awareness of agriculture’s role in modern society.
As part of their awareness programs, the National Ag Day program encourages every American to:
- Understand how food and fiber products are produced
- Appreciate the role agriculture plays in providing safe, abundant and affordable products
- Value the essential role of agriculture in maintaining a strong economy
- Acknowledge and consider career opportunities in the agriculture, food and fiber industry
Visit the Ag Day website for more information on contest rules and entry forms and for information on National Ag Day 2021.