The National 4-H Council is offering an agriculture leadership opportunity for 10 students to represent 4-H in the 2020 National Ag Day events in Washington, D.C. this spring. Students will participate in a training at the National 4-H Conference Center from Sunday, March 22 to Tuesday, March 24, 2020.
The Agriculture Council of America (ACA) sponsors a total of 100 student representatives from across the country to participate in the training and attend the National Ag Day activities on Capitol Hill. The students — from FFA, AFA, 4-H and Student NAMA — put a face on the future of agriculture and personally emphasize the importance of agriculture in our everyday lives.
Thanks to support from Bayer, the 10 4-H representatives will receive an additional day of programming focused on topics such as ag policy, ag journalism, and government affairs. The Bayer sponsorship will cover the 4-H representatives’ travel expenses as well as an additional (Sunday) night of lodging. The remaining onsite expenses of rooms, meals and ground transportation will be covered through the ACA sponsorship. To start the application process:
- Each state 4-H office may nominate up to two delegates to represent 4-H.
- Nominees must submit their application by midnight on Friday, December 6, 2019.
- Participants will be selected through a competitive application process
- 4-H representatives should:
- Be between the ages of 18-23 and enrolled in post high school education
- Be 4-H alum or currently active in collegiate 4-H
- Have a strong interest and/or career plan in the agricultural industry
- Have the desire to learn about communication and leadership skills
Nominees will respond to questions on the online application. In addition to the questions, a letter of reference from a 4-H professional must be submitted. To be considered as a 4-H representative for the 2020 National Ag Day Student Leadership Training, nominees must submit the requirements by midnight on Friday, December 6, 2019.
If you have any questions, contact Beth Hecht, [email protected], 301-221-4859