Coinciding with National Pollinator Week, Pheasants Forever and the Monarch Joint Venture have announced a new Miles for Monarchs campaign to raise awareness around the decline of native pollinators, while raising much-needed finances to support pollinator conservation work throughout monarch, pheasant and quail country.
Miles for Monarchs is an exciting new way to support monarch butterflies and associated pollinator habitat through athletic activities. By way of running, walking, biking, hiking or paddling through monarch regions of the United States, individuals and communities can host or join with existing fun runs, 5k’s, or other events with the purpose of funding habitat projects for monarch butterflies across North America.
“Monarch butterflies are a great barometer of environmental health and easy for nature lovers to identify with,” stated Drew Larsen, Pheasants Forever’s director of habitat education programs. “Using these attributes, we’ve designed a new, fun, and conservation-minded platform for individuals, organizations, and whole communities to support the comeback of the iconic monarch butterfly. Additionally, great pollinator habitat fuels the life cycle of upland birds, which is why Pheasants Forever maintains itself as a leader in pollinator habitat projects nationwide.”
Every dollar raised through the campaign will fund national habitat, research, and education work to protect monarchs and other pollinators through programs implemented by Pheasants Forever, the Monarch Joint Venture, and partners. These programs include youth habitat pollinator projects, demonstration habitats and field events, and educational seminars.
How to Participate:
Make a Direct Donation
- Receive a Miles for Monarch t-shirt for donations of $30 or more
Sign-up to Become a Fundraiser
- Register for an existing run/walk or other event
- Leverage the event to promote and fundraise for monarch conservation
- Get Miles for Monarchs gear for you and your team!
- Not a competitor? Do it on your own by creating a mileage and dollar goal
Host an Event
- Communities and organizations can organize their own fun run, 5k, or other outdoor activity to raise funds for butterfly conservation through the Miles for Monarchs campaign!
- Dedicate a portion of funds raised from an event to a local habitat initiative
For more information regarding the Miles for Monarchs campaign or to host an event in your own community, contact Drew Larsen at 308-293-1194 or DLarsen@PheasantsForever.Org.