Those in the agriculture industry are committed to broadening educational opportunities and opening doors to students who are passionate to serve rural America and keep their family farms thriving. A committee of the National Corn Growers Association grower leaders selected the finalist for the 2022 NCGA Scholarship Programs. As a result, eleven students will be awarded scholarships for the upcoming fall 2022 semester.
Graduate Student Scholarship Winner:
- Carlos Bonini Pires, Kansas State University
Carlos B. Pires is a doctoral student in the Department of Agronomy at Kansas State University. Carlos’s studies focus on testing agricultural practices to improve soil health at the farm level. He is conducting state-wide on-farm studies to measure and communicate the environmental benefits of different agricultural practices. On the outreach and extension side, he has organized and participated in soil health field days to raise awareness on the importance of making agriculture more resilient and sustainable. Carlos is the founder of Agro Connection Podcast and YouTube channel, which focuses on connecting Brazilian and American agriculture.
The William C. Berg Excellence in Agriculture Scholarship was created to honor William C. Berg, an Ohio farmer and retired postal worker who passed away in 2012. He served in various positions for both the Ohio Corn & Wheat Growers Association and NCGA, and advocated tirelessly in Washington, D.C., for agriculture on behalf of his fellow farmers.
William C. Berg Academic Excellence Scholarship Winners (Sponsored by BASF Corporation):
- Valerie Bohuslavsky, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Ashley Hagenow, University of Minnesota
- Ross Herber, South Dakota State University
- Lane Remmich, West Texas A&M University
- Maleia Ryberg, Minnesota State University, Mankato
Technical School and Community College Scholarship Winners:
- Grace Dinius, North Dakota State College of Science
- Liliana Hill, Ellsworth Community College
- Bailey Lennemann, Central Community College
- Lacey Schmidt, Colby Community College
Learn more about the program winners and read their full bios here.