Warmer weather means that the bugs are out, and the one pest that our horses seem to hate the most are flies. On the worst days, there may be dozens buzzing around just one horse while out in the pasture. Luckily there are solutions — the most common being a fly mask, which will protect your horse’s face (and particularly the eyes) from these little critters. Fly masks are also great for keeping dust out of eyes or for protecting the face if you have some wooded areas of your pasture. So, which are the best fly masks?
We’ve tried several different brands to find the best fly masks for our farm animals — and these are the four that rose above the rest and that we like the most.
Farnam SuperMask II Horse Fly Mask
This one is a winner, in part because it’s always in stock at our local Tractor Supply store. It’s affordable and durable, and it’s easy to get our hands on it when we’ve misplaced a mask or one has gotten lost somewhere in the pasture. The horses find it comfortable, and the Double-Latch Closure keeps it in place for the long haul.
- Protects eyes from insects
- Won’t obstruct vision
- Shields eyes from flying dust, dirt and debris
- Horseproof Double-Latch Closure provides twice the staying power of other masks
- Aids healing after eye injury
- Provides maximum comfort with no rubbing or harsh abrasion
To see it with ears, click here.
Cashel Crusader Fly Mask, Long with Ears
Whether because of heavy fly activity, sun exposure, or wound-healing, if you need full coverage of your horse’s face, this is your best bet. Cashel’s mask extends farther down the nose than most masks, making this a good choice for many animals. It’s also got a particularly soft-coated nylon micromesh.
- Patented three hole cap and double dart construction hold material well away from sensitive eyes, lashes and temples without damaging the forelock
- Provides a more natural complete field of vision
- Blocks up to 70% of the sun’s damaging UV rays, protecting horses from eye problems and sunburn
- Long nose with ears has extra material on the nose which provides added insect protection and shields the sensitive nose from UV rays — a benefit for any horse, along with soft micromesh nylon sleeves to protect the ears
Kensington Fly Mask with Web Trim
In a more upscale category, this is our favorite. The plaid design offers nice elegance to the mask, while, of course, not sacrificing the functionality of it. It’s constructed of Textilene, a PVC-coated polyester fabric with a 1000×2000 weave. It withstands fading, soiling, and wear and tear, and is mildew-resistant. Wearing this fly mask allows your horse full visibility with maximum protection to the facial and eye areas.
- Protects against 73% of harmful UV rays
- Double eye darts prevent eye irritation
- Double-locking throat latch to keep in place
- Forelock opening
- Highly breathable
- Elastic throat strap for comfort
- Durable web trim
Amigo Fly Mask with Ears
Sometimes you simply stumble upon a really good product for a really good price. That’s what we have here with Amigo’s fly mask. It’s nothing fancy — it just works. The mask is made of PVC-coated polyester and holds its shape while reducing irritation from flies and reflecting sunlight. The fleece edging adds comfort and helps prevent rubbing.
- Fleece edging
- Velcro closure
- Large soft-fitting ears
- UV protection
While these are our favorite fly masks, please get whatever mask works best for your horse. Sizing and comfort for the individual animal are what matter most!
We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.