The National Rice Month Scholarship Contest is here! Students can create awareness and promote U.S.-grown rice, National Rice Month, and the importance of rice in their state via video — and earn scholarship money in the process.
It’s easy to participate. Make an original video about rice production, healthy eating, sustainability, and so much more! You can also conduct promotion activities in your community and showcase your work in a video. High school graduating students from rice-growing states — Arkansas, California, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, and Texas — are eligible.
Entries must be received by October 31, 2019. Winners will be notified by November 20, 2019. Students can enter the contest by following these three steps:
- Create an original video about U.S. rice, National Rice Month, and the importance of rice to your state (must be 3 minutes or less)
- Upload your video to Youtube or Vimeo
- Submit your entry on their website
Three scholarship prizes, sponsored by Corteva AgriScience, totaling $8,500 will be awarded. The grand-prize winner will receive a $4,000 scholarship and a trip with a chaperone this December to the awards ceremony at the 2019 USA Rice Outlook Conference in Little Rock, Arkansas. The second-place winner will receive a $3,000 scholarship, and third-place $1,500.
Here are some suggested themes and concepts to get the creative energy flowing!
- Promote Local Rice: spread the word about rice in your community
- Healthy Eating: share an original recipe featuring rice and other foods grown in your state, visit MyPlate, MyState for ideas
- Conservation and the Environment: highlight the sustainability story of U.S.-grown rice
- Rice Production: tell the world what rice farmers do, how they do it, and why it’s so important
Find more information at ThinkRice.com.
Contest entries will be judged on creativity, quality, popularity, and effectiveness in promoting U.S.-grown rice, NRM, and the importance of rice in the student’s state.