National Milk Day is next Wednesday, January 11! This day marks the first-time milk was delivered to homes in glass bottles (which still happens to this day).
To celebrate, #NationalMilkDay, here are five fun facts about the American staple you may not have known. They may help explain why dairy milk is the official state beverage of 22 states!
Did you know?
- Milk’s Nutrients Support a Healthy Immune System: Dairy milk provides essential nutrients that help keep your immune system primed and ready to fight efficiently, including vitamin A, vitamin D, zinc, selenium, and high-quality protein. A glass of milk is an efficient way to get nutrients in as we head into peak flu season!
- Milk Hydrates Better than Water: Real milk is one of the best beverages for hydration – even better than water or sports drinks. Researchers credit milk’s natural electrolytes, carbohydrates, and protein for its effectiveness. The same electrolytes that are added to your favorite sports drinks are found naturally in milk!
- Lactose-Free Milk is Still Real Dairy Milk: You don’t have to lose out on the nutrients from dairy milk if you are lactose intolerant! Lactose-free milk is real dairy milk with all the same nutritional benefits, just without the lactose.
- Milk is One Of The Most Cost Effective Dietary Sources of Key Nutrients: At just about 25 cents per 8-ounce glass, no other beverage packs the nutrition power of milk’s 13 essential nutrients dollar for dollar.
- Not All Proteins are the Same: Milk is a complete protein meaning it provides all the amino acids your body needs and can’t make on its own. Most plant-based milks are incomplete proteins. Chocolate milk’s unique combination of carbs and high-quality protein make it ideal for refueling, rebuilding, and repairing muscles after play or exercise.